This week’s photo challenge is about Heritage.

I immediately took this to mean about family and culture. It could be interpreted a range of different ways, but as regular readers know, I absolutely love my family. I also love talking about them. So here we go again.

I am bicultural. I have lived most of my life in New Zealand, so that side may come out stronger, but I also consider myself a Filipina (mostly in spirit, as I keep meaning to relearn Tagalog). My dad is from New Zealand, and my mum is from the Philippines.

back in nz

I consider myself a proud Kiwi. Our country is beautiful, it’s a tiny island sure, but it’s packed full of incredible sights. Lord of the Rings and Weta have certainly helped boost our image of that 😛

As with any sights, you just sometimes have to go out of your way to find it.

IMG_1311Dec.21.2013 Looking up a tree2015-10-25 11.54.41IMG_1367IMG_1347

As for my Filipino side, I was there when I was incredibly young. I only lived there from when I was 4-6. However, I do remember from my time there, that it gave me an amazing work ethic (which I since lost and then regained yay!). The schooling system was very different from kindergarten back home, there was more of a focus on academia. For that, I’m thankful, as when we came back to New Zealand, it gave me a boost, and for most of my school life, I was doing work above my grade level.

1997.kids2ang and mum41997.kids11997.ang1ang and mum2

I have also inherited a lot from my family.

Including biological traits. I have inherited my parent’s black hair and brown eyes. Their short to average height (For some reason though, my sister is an Amazon). My dad’s poor eyesight which means I require glasses. A slightly lighter version of my mum’s darker skin, which also gives me the ability to tan fairly fast in summer (thanks Mum!).

SAM_2734

As well as personality traits. I have a weird sense of humour. I love to photograph everything, bake, and give out hugs thanks to Mum. I love movies, computer games and board games thanks to Dad. Also, my love of mini golf! Is there any better outdoor activity? 😀

IMG_20161226_160850

Finally, I have inherited my love of family birthday traditions. Every year, for each birthday, we will get together for a dinner, cake, presents, and chats. (Similarly for Christmas.) Most recently, we got together for my Dad’s birthday last weekend. Next month, it’s my brother’s turn.

Heritage is fun to stop and think about, especially when you have an amazing family. I have been shaped a lot by how I grew up and my parents. I have since grown up and left home, but I look forward to one day passing my own heritage down to future generations (not any time soon though!)

33 thoughts on “My Heritage

• Renard Moreau

[ Smiles ] Remembering your heritage is important. Thank you for sharing it with us!

• wormalblog

Aw such cute pictures! It’s awesome to get know you better(: lovely post ya kiwi babe aha <3

• handmade habit

Wonderful post and pictures, Angela – a thoughtful reflection on all the things we inherit from our parents! I also have a Filipina mom, but grew up in Canada. How interesting that you were able to spend some time in the Philippines when you were younger. I’m with you in wanting to relearn Tagalog. 🙂

Thanks Shirley 🙂
      I wish us both luck in relearning tagalog 😀

• Leigh Smith92

Gorgeous post and pictures – I love hearing about others heritage!
    Also I nominated you on my Friends for Days Tag because I love your blog – check it out here – https://loveleighx.com/2017/05/17/friends-for-days-tag/
    Love Leigh

Thanks Leigh! And wow, I’ll definitely check it out 😄

• calmkate

What an interesting background and lovely photos, thanks for sharing, k

• sustainabilitea

A wonderful heritage and a beautiful country full of tradition and history.

janet

• Bath Of Colours

Beautiful photos and an interesting read! Thank you!xo

• Jen

Lovely post. I enjoyed reading it a lot. Heritage is always important to every single one of us.

• LivingOutLoud

Hi Angela!
    You are beautiful and are from such a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing your story!

<3 Alana Xoxoxo

• janahpinku

Hi Angela! Thanks for sharing this and for staying truthful to your Filipino roots. The photos are so lovely! Maybe someday you might come back and visit the Philippines. 💕

Thanks Janah! I would love to come back to the Philippines one day! 🙂

• Pingback: Heritage: Old Mill Leiden | What's (in) the picture?

You were the cutest little thing and a perfect mix of mom and dad!! And that lake? So dreamy!

I’m so happy to be their daughter 😄
      Btw that lake is the emerald lake and it gets that colour due to the sulphur and other such minerals around it 🙂
      It’s definitely not a swimming lake. Very pretty though 😄

• Grubbing With Jess

Such a sweet post!!

• AdashofJhaee

Lovely interpretation of the theme 😊 Family is 💕 👌🏼

• Sofia

I love this post and the pictures are so adorable. Btw, I’m from the Philippines!

Thank you Sofia! That’s awesome to hear! 😄

• becomingdeutsch

beautiful post! I couldn’t agree more with the Filipinos’ love for taking photographs of almost everything (according to my husband) and giving out hugs! 🙂